I'm Not Naughty  - I'm Autistic -  Jodi's Journey    Autism, Amalgam and Me - Jodi's Journey Continues   Mercury Poisoning - It's Not In Our Heads Any More - Jodi's Journey Goes On          Supported Living- Jodi’s Journey Moves On Jean Shaw.com Copyright © 2005-2016 All Rights Reserved www.JeanShaw.com

Created By
www.stephengraphics.com

Terms Of Use Statement   Privacy Policy   Purchase Agreement


DISCLAIMER: The information on this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to act as a substitute for medical advice provided by a qualified health care provider, nor is any information on this site intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
FTC Disclosure: If you decide to purchase any products recommended on this site you should assume I may possibly receive some commission.

HEALTH : If anyone has a specific health issue they should always

seek medical advice.

Please note this site may not display properly in the AOL browser

Dangers of Boiling Water
In The Microwave



This is another useful piece of information I've been asked to pass on. I've no idea where the e-mail originated but you ought to know this …just in case!


Microwaving Water

A 26-year old man decided to have a cup of coffee. He took a cup of water and put it in the microwave to heat it up (something he'd done numerous times before). I'm not sure how long he set the timer for, but he wanted to bring the water to a boil.

When the timer shut the oven off, he removed the cup from the oven, but as he looked into the cup, he noted the water wasn't boiling.

Suddenly the water in the cup 'blew up' into his face.

The cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand, but all the water had flown out into his face due to the build up of energy.

His whole face is blistered and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns to his face, which may leave scarring.

He may also have lost partial sight in his left eye.

Whilst at the hospital, the doctor attending to him stated this is a fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in a microwave oven.

If water is heated in this manner, something should be placed in the cup to diffuse the energy such as a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc., BUT nothing metal.

General Electric's Response


The e-mail that you received is correct.

Microwaved water and other liquids do not always bubble when they reach the boiling point. They can actually get superheated and not bubble at all. The superheated liquid will bubble up out of the cup when it is moved or when something like a spoon or tea bag is put into it.

To prevent this from happening and causing injury, do not heat any liquid for more than two minutes per cup. After heating, let the cup stand in the microwave for thirty seconds before moving it or adding anything into it.

The local science teacher's response

"Thanks for the microwave warning. I have seen this happen before. It is caused by a phenomenon known as super heating. It can occur anytime water is heated and will particularly occur if the vessel that the water is heated in is new, or when heating a small amount of water (less than half of a cup).

What happens is that the water heats faster than the vapour bubbles can form. If the cup is very new it is unlikely to have any small surface scratches inside it that provide a place for the bubbles to form. As the bubbles cannot form and release some of the heat has built up, the liquid does not boil, and the liquid continues to heat up well past its boiling point.

What then usually happens is that the liquid is bumped or jarred, which is just enough of a shock to cause the bubbles to rapidly form and expel the hot liquid.

The rapid formation of bubbles is also why a carbonated beverage spews when opened after having been shaken.'


If you pass this on you could very well save someone
from a lot of pain and suffering.